Previously known as the Warpers Arms when it opened in 1846, then the Vine, the Old Turf Tavern closed as a Walkers house in 1907. The magistrate claimed it was unsuited to the area: "There are a large number of other public houses in the Italian quarter, largely frequented by Italians". The owner, the Italian Lawrence Acari, sold only eight barrels of beer, mainly to English customers, as the Italians tended to sup wine and whisky .
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).