Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Saturday, 20 February 2010

Farmers Arms, George Leigh Street

Former location of Farmers Arms, George Leigh Street, Ancoats. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.

Not much is known about the Farmers Arms, other than its mention in the 1829 directory.  The landlord was Luke Heathcote of Cornwall Street and Canning Street, and the pub is thought to have stood at the corner of George Leigh Street and German Street [1].  The latter street was renamed during the First World War in an anti-German fit of pique, when it took on the present, more aggressive sounding name, Radium Street.

1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment