Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Saturday, 20 February 2010

George, George Leigh Street

Former location of the George, George Leigh Street, Ancoats. (c) Google 2010. View Larger Map..

The George stood on the corner of Henry Street, opening in 1840, being run by James Nicholas Donnaven in the 1880s according to the 1881 census.  This beerhouse was known for a time as the Carders Arms, before closing as a Walker & Homfray house in 1921.  Half a century later the nearby Cardroom Estate was built by the council - of course, this estate failed and has almost all been wiped out by the latest Ancoats (or New Islington as they're trying to rebrand it) regeneration efforts.  The Express Buildings were built over this part of old Ancoats, and the rear part of the buildings has been converted into flats.

Express Buildings, Great Ancoats Street. (c) Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment