Crown & Sceptre, Longacre Street. (c) Manchester Local Image Collection. Click here to view full image.
The Crown & Sceptre was another of the many boozers that used to stand around the back of Piccadilly Station, a Threlfalls house in the 1930s, seen here as a Whitbread house in 1967 (Chapeltown Street entrance) and 1970 on Longacre Street (previously known as Long Street). A 1934 photo shows the houses that stood next to the Crown & Sceptre, typical of Manchester, with their outdoor toilets with sloped roofs.
The area, just of Great Ancoats Street, has been completely demolished, as the sign on the site states. The pub itself was pulled in 1986, a casualty of the widening of Great Ancoats Street, and now the tram from Piccadilly to Eastlands, Droylsden and beyond is being built along here.