The Mechanics Arms public house opened on Henry Street in the 1820s, just round the corner from the Green Dragon on Jersey Street. It was advertised in 1840 as a "valuable investment rarely to be met with... a public house with neatly fitted-up spirit vault with good seven-barrel brewery. The house is one of the most populous and best situations in town." The Mechanics was closed and demolished in the 1880s due to extensions to McConnell's Mill .
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).