Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Thursday, 4 February 2010

Brahms & Liszt, Brown Street

Brahms, Brown Street. (c) New Manchester Review, 1979.

Brahms & Liszt (famous composers, but perhaps better known as rhyming slang...) was a popular bar back in the 1980s.  It is now Panama Hatties restaurant, having previously tried to make a go of it as Time, Chez Gerard and Renaissance.  As Brahms & Liszt it did sell cask Tetley's, but reportedly shut when the door wars came to Manchester. There appears to be a worldwide chain of Brahms & Liszts these days.

Panama Hatties, former Brahms & Liszt, Brown Street. (c) myvillage.

6 comments:

  1. It used to actually sell cask Tetley's. Had to close when the door wars came to central Manchester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What were the door wars? Many happy times in B&L in 90's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. see here mate for door wars info - www.techno.de/mixmag/98.02/Gangchester/Gangchester.4.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. In front of the door of B&L me and the love of my life had our first kiss one rainy night of 1989...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I come from Essex (though I now live in Sheffield). I am now 50 too.

    About 28 or 30 years ago I worked at Anchor House at the end of Brown Street in Manchester... I worked for a company called BSP. They were a publishing company. I did it for 4 or 5 months. I used to drive up to Manchester on a Monday, leaving home at 6am, parking at the Arndale when I goot in around lunchtime.... Then I would stay Mon, Tue, Wed & Thursday nights in Middleton before driving home Friday evening either down the M6 or over Snake Pass to Sheffield to get on the M1 there....

    Snake Pass is one of the prettiest roads in England - it was one of the reasons why we moved up here in 2004 when we had an opportunity to do so.

    Anyway, back to the Brahms & Liszt: Used to drink in there (or eat) at lunchtime. I really can't remember anything about it now except that the pub was in a basement and one had to descend from the street to get into the bar....

    Those were the days of my mis-spent youth ! lol.

    Best wishes everybody

    "Paul from Barking"

    ReplyDelete