Further up George Leigh Street towards Bengal Street on the right was the Bakers, which opened in the 1830s and closed in 1912 as a Walkers & Homfray beerhouse . In the background on the left can be seen the still surviving Shamrock, which used to have the Lord Howe's Fleet next to it.
Former location of the Backers, George Leigh Street, Ancoats. (c) Google 2010. View Larger Map.
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).