William Dargan. (c) wikipedia.
The Dargan Arms beerhouse stood next to the Dog & Partridge, and opened in 1836 a couple of years earlier than its neighbour, but by 1858 had become a baker's . It was named after William Dargan, a pioneer of Irish railways - possibly due to the pub's close proximity to Oldham Road station. The next pub up Oldham Road from the Dargan was the still-standing but closed Cheshire Cheese.
Former location of Dargan Arms, Oldham Road. (c) Google 2010. View Larger Map.
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).