Wilton Arms, Cross Lane, Salford, 1974. (c) NAH1952 at flickr.
On the corner of Cross Lane and Liverpool Street in Salford sat the Wilton, first licensed in 1862, this pub had a thing for W's. In the early 1900s Arthur Walters ran the Wilton which was owned by brewers Watson, Woodhead and Wagstaffe, before being taken over by Walker & Homfray in 1912 when they also acquired a couple of shops next door. William Mottershead had the Wilton in 1940s, William Hayhurst in the 1950s and Josephine Walker in the 1960s, by which time it was a Wilsons house.
Wilton Inn, Cross Lane, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Wilton was subject to a Compulsory Purchase Order in 1971 and four years later Salford Council paid owners, Grand Metropolitan, £20,000 and pulled it down . Today the Co-Op funeral services stands here, diagonally opposite the closed Ship.
Former location of Wilton, Cross Street, Salford. (c) googlemaps.
1. Salford Pubs - Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).