The stretch of Dantzic Lane that passes the Charter Street Ragged School in Angel Meadow was named Charter Street at some point in the 1800s. The bridge that crosses the road was known as Charter Street bridge - this 1899 photo shows the same view as seen today. The Dog & Duck closed down in the latter half of the nineteenth century, but was well known locally for its skittle alley and rat pit (a waist-high circular enclosure where dogs would compete to kill rats). The Dog & Duck had a lamp outside that resembled a doctor's lamp and inside had hung boxing prints. It was renowned for a time as "the house of call of the swell mob of Manchester and the superior class of prigs (thieves) ." These two 1897 images (note the as yet unknown pub on the corner) looking up and down Charter Street show it as a busy thoroughfare.
1. The Old Pubs of Rochdale Road and Neighbourhood - Manchester, Neil Richardson (1985).