Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Tuesday, 30 August 2011

London & North Western, Cross Lane

London & North Western, Cross Lane, Salford, 1920s. (c) Neil Richardson (2003).

Replacing a smaller nearby pub a few yards south called the Railroad Tavern or Railway Inn, the London & North Western Railway Hotel was built at a cost of £5,000 in about 1890 on Cross Lane at the corner with Wilton Street.  It was opposite the Cross Lane Lancashire Fusiliers barracks.


London & North Western Hotel, Salford. (c) James Herring at flickr.

John Higham who was previously at the Railway Inn took over and in 1891 advertised "the prettiest and best-conducted concert hall in Lancashire."  Salford Football Club was based at the London & North Western around this time and McEwan's and Burton Ales were on offer.  By the 1930s, Threlfalls Brewery owned the pub, followed by Whitbread by the 1980s when it had several makeovers [1].

London & North Western, Cross Lane, Salford. (c) James Herring at flickr.

In October 1981 the Salford City Reporter announced that the "dirty, dingy, nicotine-stained Victorian pub" had been transformed into the Norwest, a "trendy under-30s disco bar."  In 1983 live entertainment on was none other than the famous Foo Foo Lamarr, yet by 1985 the pub was known as The End.  It was indeed nigh as the pub was derelict by 1989 and pulled down a year later [1].

London & North Western, Cross Lane, Salford. (c) James Herring at flickr.

The location of the old London & North Western today is right at the bottom of Cross Lane, just north of the Regent Road roundabout and the  railway line which passes beneath.

Former location of London & North Western, Cross Lane, Salford. (c) googlemaps.

1. Salford Pubs - Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).

No comments:

Post a Comment