Former location of King William IV & Barracks Tavern, Lord Street. (c) googlemaps.
Shown as St Georges Park on the map, Barrack Street Park in Hulme is the old site of Cavalry Barracks which were home to the 15th King's Hussars, a battalion that was heavily involved in the disgraceful Peterloo Massacre in 1819. When the cavalry moved away, the area fell into squalor but at the start of the 20th century the council decided to put it to public use as a park. The entrance to the barracks was, unsurprisingly, down Barrack Street off Chester Road, and just around the corner from there was the King William IV & Barracks Tavern on Lord Street. You can imagine the pub being an interesting mix of soldiers and locals from the Hulme terraces. Today this street is known as Lordsmead Street and the street layout of this corner of Hulme remains similar to how it was in 1849 .
King William IV & Barracks Tavern, Lord Street. (c) googlemaps.
1. Hulme: St George's 1849, Alan Godfrey Maps (2009).