Pictured here in 1971 a couple of years before it closed down, the Kings Arms opened in 1823 when King George IV was on the throne. Its attached brewhouse became the Phoenix Brewery in the 1860s under Lawrence O'Neill. He went on to become boss of the Cornbrook Brewery so the Kings Arms became a tied house . When the pub had to close in 1973 due to redevelopment of the area it was a Charrington house at No.231-233, having swallowed up an hold beerhouse next door - appropriately the Queens Arms - in the late nineteenth century . Its location was roughly opposite Livesey Street on the right side of Rochdale Road on the way into town.
1. The Old Pubs of Rochale Road and Neighbourhood - Manchester, Neil Richardson (1985).