The Butchers Arms was on the corner of Unwin Street (now Churchill Way) at the top end off Cross Lane in between the Grapes and the Cattle Market Hotel. First licensed in 1840, the Butchers advertised "the largest pig hog in the world" in 1867 - many pubs around Cross Lane would display freak animals that had come to the cattle market to draw in customers. The pub was taken by Cardwell's Brewery in 1894 then Wilsons in 1899, Groves & Whitnall in 1907 then the North Cheshire Brewery in 1917. In December 1922 the Butchers advertised"free wireless demonstrations", as pictured above. The pub closed before most of its Cross Lane neighbours, in 1967 under final owners, Inde Coope .
Former location of Butchers Arms, Cross Lane, Salford (Corporation, right). (c) googlemaps.
1. Salford Pubs - Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).