Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Friday, 2 September 2011

Cattle Market Tavern, Cross Lane

Cattle Market Tavern, Cross Lane, Salford, 1951. (c) Neil Richardson [1].

Not to be confused with the Cattle Market / Red Rose Hotel across the road, the Cattle Market Tavern opened a few years before the hotel, being shown on the 1831 map of Salford.  It was originally set back from the road with the front gardens used as a pull-in for horse-drawn traffic.  In 1867 there was an odd advertisement for the pub, "the greatest wonder out... to be seen alive, a calf with six perfect legs."  In the 1880s the pub was acquired by the Bolton Street Brewery who leased it to Cardwell's of Hulme in 1895.


Cattle Market Tavern, Cross Lane, Salford. (c) James Herring at facebook.

Wilsons then Walkers & Homfrays took the pub, the latter which rebuilt it in the 1920s in line with the Cross Lane shops.  They renamed it slightly to the Cattle Market Wine Tavern, as it was licensed only to sell beer and wine; it wasn't until 1960 that Wilsons obtained a spirits licence.  In 1966 the pub was included in the Windsor Extension compulsory purchase area and was pulled down (unlike its neighbour the Golden Gate / Craven Heifer) [1].

Former location of Cattle Market Tavern, Cross Lane, Salford. (c) googlemaps.

1. Salford Pubs - Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).

No comments:

Post a Comment