Ship, Eccles New Road, Salford, 1951. (c) Neil Richardson .
Technically Eccles New Road, the Ship is usually included when people remember the Cross Lane pubs. It was a huge, imposing corner pub built in 1888 to replace the Turf Tavern beerhouse which had stood on the corner of Eccles New Road and Cross Lane since 1868. The Ship Hotel was named after the Manchester Ship Canal and was taken by Walkers & Homfray. Concerts were advertised every night, "Everything in good taste. Nothing offensive. Nothing vulgar or rowdy" and the Ship was known as "The Winter Garden of Salford." By the 1960s it was a Wilsons pub and it closed in 1973, a few years before the Regent Road roundabout and M602 arrived .