Former location of the Mariner, Liverpool Street, Salford. (c) Google 2011 - View Larger Map.
The Mariner was yet another estate pub built to cater for the redeveloped Precinct area in Salford, sitting on the corner of Liverpool Street and Athole Street. It was built for Wilsons Brewery, opening in December 1976 under Harry and Jean Cole. The pub was almost named 'The Lowry' or 'The Liner' by the brewery but they settled on the Mariner, a name that "...sets out to preserve the warmth and tradition long associated with Salford's seaport taverns of old. A colourful portrait of a pipe-smoking sea dog hangs over the door ."
The Mariner lasted until 2000 until it was bought by Salford City Council. The following meeting minutes tell the sorry story of why the pub was demolished:
"...Councillors... hereby approve: The demolition of The Mariners Public House on Liverpool Street, Salford 6. The reasons are: To facilitate Urban Renewal in the Seedley & Langworthy area... The Partnership purchased the Mariner in March 2001, at a cost of £34000 (£32500 OMV plus £1500 fees) with funds made available from the NWDA. A condition of the grant from the NWDA is that the building be demolished by June 2001 ."
Predictably, in the ten years since the decision was made to demolish the Mariner, nothing has been done with the site. There is a photo of the Mariner at flickr from "Salford Pubs of the 70s" - what an ugly yet superb example of an inner-city estate pub.
1. Salford Pubs - Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).