The Sir Ralph Abercrombie was named after a Napoleonic war hero, like the nearby St Vincents and both Nelsons. It stood on the corner of Lomax Street, just a few yards along from the White House. It was listed in the 1811 directory, and Mick Burke remembers a day in 1905 when his Mam got bladdered in the Abercrombie with an old friend she'd met on the way back from church - young Mick was left waiting outside. The Abercrombie closed in 1923 as a Threlfalls house .
Former location of the Sir Ralph Abercrombie, Great Ancoats Street. (c) Google 2010. View Larger Map.
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).