Union Street, now Redhill Street, was mainly mills, but had a few houses and one beerhouse, on the corner of German Street. This was the City Tavern which lasted from the 1840s to 1916 when Walker & Homfrays surrendered its licence and it reverted to a house . A car park now sits at this corner of Radium Street and Redhill Street, facing the Rochdale Canal, with much redevelopment work going on around it.
Former location of City Tavern, Union (Redhill) Street. (c) Google 2010. View Larger Map.
1. The Old pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).