The King William IV on Boad Street sat in the shadow of London Road Station, today's Piccadilly Station, between Store Street and Sheffield Street. In the 1850s it had a four-barrel brewhouse and was then known as the Tacklers Arms. Mike Burke remembers the King Billy as "Harry Horner's: a lot of policemen went in there because there was a police station just under the railway arches." Horner had the pub from 1916 until it lost its licence in 1925 and was pulled down in 1936 . The plan of the new Ashton-bound Metrolink line below shows Boad Street:
Plan of new Ashton-bound Metrolink line.
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).