Former location of the Navigation, Great Ancoats Street. (c) Google 2010. View Larger Map.
The Navigation opened around 1800 as Ancoats Lane's fourth licenced house. It was opposite the top end of Store Street, so on this corner with Old Mill Street across from Ancoats Retail Park, and was named after the newly constructed Ashton Canal which is to the right just out of shot. In the 1850s the Navigation was known as a brewery house with attached stables, and it survived until 1938 when it closed as a Walker & Homfrays house .
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).