Former location of White Hart, Great Ancoats Street. (c) Google 2010. View Larger Map.
The 1794 directory lists the White Hart as one of just three alehouses that stood on "The Lane" back then, along with the Griffin (eventually the Land 'O' Cakes) and the Freemasons Inn. The White Hart stood diagonally opposite the Griffin, on the corner of George Leigh Street, now the corner of the Express Buildings. The licensee was Sarah Stopford in 1794, followed by Thomas Rooker who took it over in 1800. The White Hart closed as a Cornbrook house in 1895 .
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).