Former Malaga Street, Baird Street end. (c) Google 2010. View Larger Map.
Malaga Street used to carry on from Sparkle Street, linking to Sheffield Street and has been partially built over, but the line of the old street is clearly evident. The Brown Bull stood on the left here at the Baird Street, Sheffield Street end. The pub was originally owned by the London & North Western Railway Company. However, the authorities fought to have it closed, and even the Mayor of Manchester stated that the Brown Bull was too small and ill-suited for business with little bedroom accommodation: "They must take away the worst of these houses." The railway company wanted to keep it as a watering hole for their workers as it was handy for their dinner time pint. Sadly the magistrates had their way and the Brown Bull was leased to Kays Atlas Brewery in 1905, who, in turn, immediately surrendered its licence in a deal which benefitted another of their houses .
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).