Star Inn, Great Ancoats Street. (c) Google 2010. View Larger Map.
The fine looking building with the "Dutch roof" next to the Express Buildings was most recently known as the Star Inn. It was originally the Jolly Butcher (1811-15) and the Nelson (1819-1859), and in 1859 it was advertised that it had been "recently remodelled, now replete with elegant fixtures, trade utensils, neat household furniture, paintings, etc. Large club or music room, where two extensive benefit societies hold their meetings, and five bedrooms". It was then renamed the Star, but the pub shut in 1898 and for a time was used as the Irish National Club in the early 1900s . No.27 Great Ancoats Street now houses a PR firm, and judging from the superb condition of the building, was restored again since its time as the Star.
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).