Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Saturday, 20 March 2010

New Inn / Buller Whatmough's, Malaga Street

New Inn, Malaga Street. (c) Mick Burke / Frank Heaton [1].

The New Inn beerhouse stood on Malaga Street, which used to run immediately north of Piccadilly Station between Sparkle Street and Sheffield Street, as shown in the map below.  Mick Burke remembers a huge old disused chimney that stood nearby, and regulars from the New Inn used to congregate outside in the summer months and watch drunk lads climb the chimney for a bet [1].

New Inn, Malaga Street. (c) Mick Burke / Frank Heaton [2].

This photo in Ancoats Lad, and the same in Neil Richardson's book, show the pub as fine-looking, three-story Walker's of Warrington and Burton Ales house with some fine tiling and a shop next door that appears to be part of the pub.  Nicknamed Buller Whatmough's, the beerhouse was known after its owners, Frederick Whatmough and Mary Whatmough.  The pub closed as the New Inn in 1925, ran by Albert Edge [1].

Former location of Malaga Street. (c) Google 2010. View Larger Map.

1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).
2. Ancoats Lad, Mick Burke / Frank Heaton (1996).

No comments:

Post a Comment