One of the oldest pubs on Ancoats Lane, the Freemasons was listed in the 1794 directory, but closed soon after the start of the nineteenth century, and was off the list by 1811. It was most likely demolished when Ancoats Lane was widened and an old street, Grammar Street, ended up facing directly onto the new thoroughfare. It was along the stretch of Great Ancoats Street which now contains the Ancoats Retail Park with the notorious and recently demolished Cardroom Estate behind it.
Ancoats Retail Park and Cardroom Estate. (c) Google 2010. View Larger Map.
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).