Former location of the Shakespeare, Poland Street, Ancoats (c) Google 2010. View Larger Map.
The Shakespeare stood on the corner of Poland Street and Portugal Street in old Ancoats. Opening around 1850 it closed as a Walker & Homfrays house in 1919. It was earlier known as the Sir Robert Peel, advertised in 1857 as "two doors down from Oldham Road" , so it could have been on either side as shown above. Northeast of Poland Street where the industrial estate is nowadays was a further grid of old streets between there and Butler Street and Rodney Street: Flower Street, Richmond (Rigel) Street, Elizabeth (Ellington) Street, Leigh Street East, Prussia (Kemp) Street, William (Flower) Street, Heath (Hogarth) Street, New Butler Street... are just some of them.
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).