One of the first beerhouses on Ancoats Lane (Great Ancoats Street) and named after its founder, Thomas Smith, the Smiths Arms lasted from the 1830s to 1856 when Amelia Oakden last had it before it became a surgery . It was situated on the now lost Bradfield Street on the northern side of Great Ancoats Street, roughly opposite where Millbank Street (then Meadow Street) is now, not far from the Ashton Canal bridge. The modern but impressive Islington Wharf apartments are sited here, and unbeknownst to non-residents, the development contains a secret garden:
Islington Wharf, Great Ancoats Street. (c) Google 2010. View Larger Map.
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).