Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Sunday, 17 January 2010

Garrick, Fountain Street

Garrick, Fountain Street. (c) Manchester Local Image Collection. Click here to view full image.

Originally known as the Garrick's Head and/or Garrick's Arms, The Garrick was a Tetley's house half way along Fountain Street, seen here in the 1970s. In the 1800s it was situated next to the Theatre Royal, which burnt down in 1844, and was a popular venue for theatre goers of the day: "The green curtain came down amid universal plaudits. Ladies rose to rest themselves and chat, as was the custom. Gentlemen quitted their seats to join friends elsewhere, to lounge in saloon or box-lobby or to take a hasty glass at the Garrick's Head adjoining [1]." Nowadays a Hill Dickenson office block sits at this approximate location.
.
1. The Manchester Man, G. Linnus-Banks (1876).

No comments:

Post a Comment