The Star Inn was run by William John Smith in the 1850s, Martha Baker from next doors' Yorkshire Stingo in the 1860s and Joseph Downing by 1881 . That year the Star was demolished for the railway extension, so it was probably where the gap is in the above picture, next to the railway pillar. Next door to the Star, was an unknown beerhouse that lasted from the 1830s to the 1860s before it became an eating house. The daughters of Downing, the Star's final licensee, all worked as waitresses in this restaurant before it too was pulled .
1. Salford Pubs - Part 1: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).