This pedestrianised part of Fennel Street was once known as Apple Market, unsurprisingly, on account of the fruit markets which used to be held here in front of the cathedral from 1769 onwards . Next to the Chetham Gates off Victoria Street (once Hunts Bank) was the Black Moors Head and its larger neighbour, the Old Pack Horse . The Old Pack Horse was next door-but-one to the gates in the above shot and these two pubs probably replaced the Three Tuns Alehouse which stood here previously.
2. Manchester Victoria 1849, Alan Godfrey Maps (2008).