Oak Street is split in two by the little council estate (or is it sheltered housing?) in the Northern Quarter these days, but in the 1800s it ran from Thomas Street to Swan Street and had three pubs, all on the right hand side. There was the Fleece, its namesake the Old Fleece (3 on the map) and, at the top end, just before Foundry Lane, was the Royal Oak (2 on the map). The Royal Oak was next door to the Oil Cloth Manufactory on Scholes Street and on the same block as the Manchester Union Industrial Workhouse which was on the corner of Scholes Street and Tib Street .
1. Manchester (New Cross) 1849, Alan Godfrey Maps (2009).