Former location of Black Moors Head, Apple Market (Fennel Street). (c) googlemaps.
Adjacent to the Chetham gates on Fennel Street off Victoria Street (formerly Hunts Bank) are some inconspicuous bushes. In the 1800s when this area was known as Cathedral Yard, where the bushes are used to stand two pubs; the Black Moors Head and to its right, the Old Pack Horse. The latter was the larger pub with the Black Moors Head being only one bay wide . The other old Apple Market pub, the Three Tuns Alehouse, was probably knocked down some time after 1820 for the building of these pubs and the Chetham School Master's Houses, which were next to the Old Pack Horse, long-demolished .
1. Manchester Victoria 1849, Alan Godfrey Maps (2008).