The Denmark was one of many pubs around Maine Road that would heave on match days. Since City moved away from Moss Side in 2003 most of the pubs around the ground have quietly closed, although a few survive, such as the Claremont and Albert. The Denmark actually was actually lost long before the move, but the big old boozer, named after Princess Alexandra of Denmark, is pictured here in 1915, 1962 and twice in 1974. The last photos of the Denmark are from these two 1978 when it was 101 years old. The Denmark was on this corner of Lloyd Street North and Denmark Road, although a new Denmark was built close by on Moss Lane East in later years yet this has also now gone.
Former location of Denmark Hotel, Denmark Road. (c) Google 2012. View Larger Map.