Moulders Arms, Chaney Street, Hanky Park, Salford. (c) Tony Flynn .
The Turf Tavern was a beerhouse that opened in the 1860s on the south side of Chaney Street, off Chapel Street and just south of Broad Street in Hanky Park. Originally it was a single house at No.35 but in the 1880s it expanded into next door at No.37 and was renamed the Moulders Arms . Pictured here outside his beerhouse in 1912 is landlord Samuel Rainey with a couple of nosey customers peering out through the vault window. By now the Moulders was owned by Walkers Brewery of Warrington but sadly it closed in 1927 when the beerhouse was considered structurally unsuitable, with poor custom (an average of six customers) and was no longer needed as there were 22 other licensed premises within 300 yards . The old location of the Turf / Moulders was not far from opposite where the closed Woolpack is today on Meyrick Road / Belvedere Road.
1. Hanky Park, Tony Flynn (1990).
2. Salford Pubs Part Three: including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).