Dyers Arms, Ordsall Lane, Ordsall. (c) Neil Richardson .
A hundred yards or so up Ordsall Lane from the still serving Holt's house, the Bricklayers, the Dyers Arms stood on the corner of Chadwick Street, opening around 1840. By the early 1900s, a Lawrence Wall had the Walkers beerhouse; this family are linked to many local boozers. When Lawrence moved up Ordsall Lane to the Druids, his brother Tom, who'd previously run the Star on Ford Lane, took over before moving along to the Queens, the Buck on Cross Lane, the Park Hotel on West Park Street then the Greyhound on Broad Street. Tom's daughter, Vina Lewis, was landlady of the Masons on Robert Hall Street, and son Lawrence had the Tatton on Tatton Street. Finally, Vina's daughter, Iris Johnson, had the Welcome on Ordsall Lane and retired from the new Welcome on Robert Hall Street in 2001. Back to the Dyers Arms - like the Princess Tavern up the lane, it was bought up and demolished by the Salford Corporation in 1936 to make way for the Regent Flats .
Former location of Dyers Arms, Ordsall Lane. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
1. Salford Pubs Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall and Ordsall Lane, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).