Founders Arms, Windsor, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Founders Arms beerhouse opened in the 1830s on the south side of Windsor at the top of Cross Lane, opposite Salford Crescent Station. Walkers Brewery had it by the turn of the century and they had to fight off efforts to close it by magistrates and the police in 1905 and 1907. The claimed the Founders a disorderly house, and then that it was less busy than nearby boozers, the Windsor Castle, Grapes, Corporation and Fusiliers, as it was only selling four or five barrels of beer a week. It survived until 1925 when the police got their way, reporting that the Founders Arms was no longer needed. The last licensee was George Hanson, pictured outside his beerhouse just before it closed .
1. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).