Joiners Arms, Ellor Street, Hanky Park, Salford. (c) Tony Flynn .
Pictured above in 1959 in Tony Flynn's recommended book 'Hanky Park', the Joiners Arms stood on the corner of Florin Street and Ellor Street . The photo is looking down Florin Street, and the woman on the left can be seen whitening her front doorstep with a Donkey Stone. The Joiners opened in the 1850s and by 1896 had been sold to Groves & Whitnall (their Red Rose Ales & Stout being advertised below in 1960) . It lasted until 1963 when it was pulled down in the Ellor Street clearances for the building of Salford Precinct and the new high-rise flats that accompanied it. Although a short stretch of Ellor Street still survives in Pendleton today, the Joiners was at the other end, towards where Hankinson Way still runs, both still reminders of the lost district of Salford that was Hanky Park.
1. Hanky Park, Tony Flynn (1990).
2. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).