Former Duke of Sussex, Sussex Street, Lower Broughton. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Duke of Sussex used to stand diagonally across from the Vavsour, opening in 1866 on the corner of Edward Street and Sussex Street, when it may have originally been called the Cambridge Inn. Wilsons Brewery had the beerhouse from 1855, advertising 'Wilsons sparkling ales,' though Boddingtons had taken over by the turn of the century. Sadly the Duke of Sussex only lasted until 1934 when magistrates revoked its licence as it was only selling two barrels a week. The building became a hairdressers, shown as Bonnie's in the 1970s . The Palatine is still serving a few doors up Edward Street (in the background, left - Strangeways too, right) and the Albert survives down Short Street, but the old location of the Duke of Sussex is this corner of what is now Cottenham Lane.
Former location of Duke of Sussex, Cottenham Lane (former Sussex Street), Lower Broughton. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
1. Salford Pubs Part Two: including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).