Former Crystal Palace (right), Port Street. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Port Street Beer House is one of the finest boozers in town these days, and this street once boasted three public houses and seven beerhouses. The Crown & Anchor is still open (as a bizarre yet popular camp theme pub), the Kensington was pulled down in the mid-1980s and the White Lion has been closed for more than a century but remains as an odd house. One of the seven beerhouses was next door to the White Lion, the Crystal Palace. It opened in around 1850 and closed in 1894 to become a lodging house . Pictured above in the 1970s, the old Crystal Palace has since been pulled down, leaving the former White Lion and its lime green frontage stood alone.
Former location of the Crystal Palace, Port Street. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).