Windsor Bridge Tavern, Broad Street, Salford. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr .
The Windsor Bridge Tavern was the only beerhouse on the north side of Broad Street on the corner with Quay Street. It was originally known as the Weighing Machine Tavern in 1838 due to the public weighing machine that was outside, and also operated by the landlord. When the Windsor Bridge Ironworks opened, the beerhouse was renamed the Windor Bridge Ironworks Tavern. Albert Stopford of the Imperial Brewery of West Gorton had it by 1873, and when the agreed to give up the licence of the Royal Oak on Oldfield Road, they extended the Windsor Bridge Tavern into the shop next door.
Windsor Bridge Tavern, Broad Street, Salford, 1951. (c) Neil Richardson .
Stopford's ales and Imperial Stout were advertised, and later Bass, Worthington and Guinness by 1916. Stopfords were taken over by Walker & Homfray in 1927 followed by Wilsons, when the two brewers merged, by the 1950s. In the late 1970s, the Windsor Bridge was scheduled for demolition and it eventually was closed and demolished on 8th September 1980 . The site of the old Windsor Bridge Tavern is the car park of the new university Mary Seacole Building, just at the top of Cross Lane.
2. Salford Pubs - Part 3: Including Cross Lane, Broad Heath, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).