Amalgamated, Gloucester Street, Ordsall, 1967. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr .
The Amalgamated may be familiar to older generations of Britons as the original Rovers Return in Coronation Street (Salford's actual Coronation Street was only up the road and still has the famous Salford Lads Club there today). It was used by Granada TV from 1962 and is shown above on-set in 1967  - eagle-eyed readers may be able to identify the old Corrie characters. The 'Mal' opened on the corner of Clifton Street and Gloucester Street in the late 1860s and by 1890 the beerhouse was owned by the little-known Simpson & Crummack Brewery of Miles Platting .
On a Simpson & Crummack inventory of their beerhouses, the Amalgamated was described as having a bar, a bar parlour, small billiard room, kitchen and three upstairs rooms. The Empress Brewery took the Mal in 1898 then Walkers of Warrington, in the 1930s, and it closed for good in April 1970 , being demolished a year later. Today Gloucester Street still runs through this part of Salford but it ends before Tatton Street. The exact location of the old Amalgamated is where the new Carmel Close ends in this redeveloped part of Ordsall.
2. Salford Pubs - Part Two: including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).