Elephant & Castle, Whit Lane, Charlestown. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr 
The Elephant & Castle was at the bottom end of Whit Lane in Charlestown which is today known as Cromwell Road, where these two trees are. The beerhouse opened in the 1840s and Wilsons Brewery took over from Cardwell & Company in 1899. The distinctive, classic Wilsons cream tiled frontage an draughtboard above the vault door was added in the 1920s. Like most of the pubs around this part of Charlestown, Salford, the Elephant & Castle was lost to redevelopment after it closed in 1973 .
Elephant & Castle, Whit Lane, Charlestown, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson 
2. Salford Pubs - Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).