The Osborne opened in the 1860s on the corner of Wilmslow Street and Eccles New Road, not far from the bottom of Cross Lane. In the 1890s the Osborne was leased by Britannia Brewery of Hulme before Wilsons took the beerhouse in 1904. Walker's & Homfray got the Osborne back when they swapped it with the Grove so they could have their 'brewery tap' before it passed back to Wilsons just two years later when the two brewers merged. In 1961 the owners were finally given permission to extend into the neighbouring shop and a new front entrance was formed in the shop door and the Osborne's old corner door was bricked up. Even though most of the buildings around Eccles New Road and Cross Lane had been pulled down for regeneration by 1980, the Obsorne lasted until 1983  and has now been replaced by the Salvation Army HQ.
Osborne, Eccles New Road, Salford, 1951. (c) Neil Richardson .
2. Salford Pubs - Part 3: Including Cross Lane, Broad Heath, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).