Grove, Eccles New Road, Salford, 1950s. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Grove was at the other end of the terrace to the huge Ship Hotel at the bottom of Cross Lane and Eccles New Road, and even closer to the Obsorne on the other side. The beerhouse was on the corner of Eccles New Road and Adderley Street, which was previously known as Strasbourg Street and Prospect Place, opening in 1857 and by the end of the century was owned by Stopford's Brewery of West Gorton. The Grove passed to Walkers & Homfray, who had their brewery down the next street (Wilmslow Street, where the Osborne was), so they decided to do a swap with Wilsons; W&H would take the Osborne and Wilsons, the Grove. Even so, only two years later, the two breweries merged and both pubs ended up as Wilsons houses. The Grove closed in 1979 and was demolished a year later . This corner of Peel Cross Road which leads to the modern Salford County Court is the old location of the Grove.
Grove, Eccles New Road, Salford, 1974. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr .
1. Salford Pubs - Part 3: Including Cross Lane, Broad Heath, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).