The Royal Oak on the corner of Williams Street and Whit Lane in Charlestown was known locally as 'Mad Mullers' for unknown reasons. It was opened in a converted shop in about 1865 and by the 20th century was owned by the Rochdale & Manor Brewery before Sam Smiths (the smaller brewery formed from Tadcaster's John Smiths) took all Rochdale & Manor's Salford houses in the 1940s. Pictured above in 1973, the Royal Oak was demolished along with almost all the pubs in Charlestown for redevelopment soon after . This end of Whit Lane exists today as Langley Road South, and the Royal Oak was where this factory is, opposite the still standing but long-closed Kings Arms.
2. Salford Pubs - Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).