On what used to be Canal Street running through Ancoats, the Morning Star on the corner of Bradford Street and Cannel Street closed in 1929 having been one of the first beerhouses in the New Islington district. When the police objected to its licence in 1906 due to the poor condition of the building, it was known as Brown's Bar (possibly after it's licensee). The Morning Star was allowed to stay open when Walkers of Warrington refurbished the place and gave up a couple of other beerhouse licences . The former location of the Morning Star is where 'New Islington' street meets Woodward Street. Of course, the failed Cardroom estate covered this area until quite recently and is not being redeveloped again.