J. P. Joule. (c) breweryhistory.
The Three Horse Shoes in the Old Shambles was supplied with ale in 1840 by Benjamin Joule who owned the brewery that stood on New Bailey Street in the shadow of New Bailey Prison over the River Irwell in Salford. He was father of the celebrated physicist, James Prescott Joule, who also gives his name to the Sale branch of Wetherspoons where we often start and finish our days of painstaking research. The landlord of the Three Horse Shoes in the 1840s and '50s was William Brierley, a tenant of Sir Oswald Mosley (of Mosley Street fame) .