Priory, High Street, Hanky Park, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
Most of Hanky Park was wiped off the map in the mid-1960s, but there are some remnants, such as West Hight Street, which used to be simple the High Street, where the Priory Hotel once stood. It was named after an old beerhouse that was lost when Pendleton New Station was built.
The Priory Hotel was built on the corner of Ruthin Street and High Street in 1886 by Threlfalls, and for decades fought to get a full licence, a request which was repeatedly rejected until it was finally granted in 1937. This only occurred when the Raven Hotel's licence on Chapel Street was transferred, as it was getting pulled for Victoria Bus Station.
In 1915, the Priory had its windows smashed during the Lusitania Riots as the landlord had a German-sounding name - he went to the trouble of putting up posters offering a tenner to anyone who could prove he wasn't English! The Priory came to a familiar end - it was closed and demolished in 1965 under a compulsory purchase order .