Grove Inn, Grove Place, Islington, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Grove Inn was on the corner of Islington Grove and George Street on the end of a row of houses known as Grove Place. The beerhouse opened in 1860 and by the 1880s it was owned by Taylor & Horrobin, a brewery of which there appears to be no record. The lease of the Grove passed to the Salford Brewery Company and then Chesters Brewery by 1892. Chesters had plans to expand the Grove - see above - and in 1908 the beerhouse was allowed to be rebuilt. It lasted until 1957 when it was lost to an Islington redevelopment compulsory purchase order . The old location of the Grove is a little south of the wonderfully-named Firefly Close off Chapel Street.